WELCOME to CAROLINA PANACHE! I believe our homes should be a haven, a place of beauty and peace that reflect who we are and what's important to us. I'm on a journey to add personality and panache to every corner of my house. For me, good design evolves, grows and changes with the needs of one's lifestyle. I want my home to be creative, to be stylish, to be entertaining, to be real. I hope you will join me on my journey. It's always more fun to travel together.
This blog is all about bringing style and elegance to the home. The art of dressing your home goes beyond hanging a few items on the wall and arranging furniture. Much like a fabulous set of earrings or a new stylish handbag may take your little black dress from fine to fabulous, home accesories and key furnishings can take your rooms from ho-hum to singing the Halleluiah Chorus! Join with me as we discover new ways to add panache to every room of the house.

The Cook's Corner - Grandma's Apple Pie

Happy Friday! Welcome to the "Cook's Corner". I hope everyone is set for a relaxing weekend. I know many in blogland are committed to "unplug" today but since I unplug most every Saturday and Sunday, I thought I would share this one last post before the week ended. I am starting to plan some of my Easter dishes and pulled out an oldie but goodie - Grandma's Apple Pie made with fresh, tart Granny Smith apples.
I love apples! And Granny Smith apples are my favorite. When I was a little girl, I remember picking apples off my Grand-dad's orchard trees. Grandma's apple pie was a real treat and still today Apple Pie and French Vanilla ice cream is my favorite dessert. I love to eat it piping hot, fresh from the oven, drizzled with caramel syrup and a big scoop of ice cream. This Easter an Apple Pie is on my list of recipes. Grandma's pie has a little secret that I will share with you today. She always claimed that this "added ingredient" was what made her pie so special and fresh tasting. The secret is grated lemon zest! Does anyone else out there use lemon zest in their Apple Pies? I'd love to hear about it if you do. Grandma always used 1/2 teaspoon of zest and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. It was the best! Let's look at the recipe.
~~~~~~~~~~
Grandma's Apple Pie
1 pkg. refrigerated pie crusts
(Grandma used to make her own but as ready made crusts improved in texture and flavor, she switched to save time and effort.)
2 1/2 pounds of Granny Smith apples (about 5 large apples or 7 medium)
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
milk and sugar for leaf garnish
~~~~~~~~~~~~
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll 1 piecrust to a 14-inch circle. Place piecrust in a 9-inch pie plate, allowing access to hang over the edge.
  2. Peel and core the apples, then cut them into 1/4 inch slices. In a large bowl, toss the apples slices with the lemon zest and lemon juice. In a smaller bowl, mix the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add to the apples, toss to coat well.
  3. Spoon the apple mixture and any juices into the piecrust, forming a mound in the center. Cut the butter into pieces, dot over the filling.
  4. Roll the remaining piecrust to a 14-inch circle. Fold it in half, lift over pie, place the fold in the center then unfold the crust. Pinch the top and the bottom edges together. Trim the extra crust overhang to 1/2 inch. Fold the dough under making it flush with the pie-plate edge. Crimp crust edge to seal. Cut slits or vents to allow steam to escape while baking.
  5. Roll out crust trimmings and cut into leaf shaped designs then score "veins". (I found a cookie cutter that works great for this.) Brush the back of the leaves with milk and place on top of pie. Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Next, cover the edge of your pie with a 2-inch strip of foil. This will prevent your crust's edge from becoming overly brown.
  6. Bake your pie for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the crust is lightly browned and the juices are bubbling - about 15 to 20 minutes. Cool the pie for 20 minutes if you want to eat it nice and warm or for 1 hour if you like it cooled. Either way it is DELICIOUS!

~~~~~~~~~~

Next week we have a lot going on here at Carolina Panache. I have more recipes planned from the Cook's Corner, I'm gonna show you how to make Jelly-Bean Pots. This is a great way to involve your kids in some Easter Treats. I'm also putting together a very special Easter Basket. Thursday I will feature a thrifty Easter tablescape featuring finds from Everything's A Dollar store. I do hope you will visit. Until then,

Happy Cooking!

~Alisa

13 comments:

Domestic Designer said...

Your pie looks yummy and I am sure it tastes even better! I usually put lemon juice in mine but have never added the lemon zest. Next time I will. I'll be back next week to see all your neat ideas. Have a great weekend!

Ashley ~ said...

That pie looks too pretty to cut, but since you did, pass me a big slice with some of that vanilla ice cream on top*!!! YUMMO*! Have a great weekend*!!! _Ashley*

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Yes, my mom always put lemon in her apple pies. She would slice all the apples and then squeeze half a lemon over them and then grate the zest and toss. Then she sould add the cinnamon and sugar and put in the shell. I love it like that. Your pie is gorgeous. Love it with ice cream too. Hugs, Marty

a quiet life said...

such a gorgeous pie!

Sophia said...

Thanks for the recipe! Yes, in Holland we always put lemon zest in our apple pies. We also add raisins, but that's of course optional. Your recipe reads like a proper Dutch apple pie without the raisins. Was you grandma maybe Dutch . . . . Just kidding! I'm making the pie now.

Kind regards and thanks again.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Apple pie can't be beat! Love your green & white tablescape, it's so perfect for spring. and I see you got a bunny on a stick too from Pier One, those things will be hopping home with everyone.

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Alisa,
It's a delicious sounding pie for sure.

I will give it a try this week since my hubby is off work. He loves to help with new recipes.
It's so cute!

Happy Sunday!
~Melissa :)

Sit A Spell said...

Gotta love a homemeade apple pie! I also like your green and white table setting below! The little bird is adorable. I've enjoyed my first visit here.

The Bloom Girls said...

Oh my goodness, this looks delicious! Please cut me a slice and pile on the ice cream! I love apples and caramel together! This recipe looks amazing and I am going to try it one night this week! Of course, my sous chef will be by my side! To see my sous chef go to: http://www.thebloomgirls.com/2009/03/seedlings-cornercooking-with-madison.html)

Blessings to you and yours!

Karyn

Faye said...

ALISA,THANKS FOR SHARING.THIS LOOKS YUMMY!HAVE A BLESSED EVENING!

Scribbler said...

This recipe looks great, and I have not seen a Hubby yet who would turn up his nose at Apple Pie!

Scribbler

kate said...

Looks wonderful!! I will have to try it. I also love your tablescape, the green and cream is lovely
ck out our blog
best to you
kate

Kathy said...

Hi Alisa, Your Apple Pie looks and sounds delicious, I will definately be trying this very soon and I love your side bar inspiration gallery. thank you for your lovely comments on my last tablescape and in answer to your question re the lacy chargers, I purchased mine from a local shop and they only had four left and have been searching for more ever since, but another blogger has just found some, if you go here:

http://astrollthrulife.blogspot
.com/ Marty has just posted about them. Kathy.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin