WELCOME to CAROLINA PANACHE! I believe our homes should be a haven, a place of beauty and peace that reflect who we are and what's important to us. I'm on a journey to add personality and panache to every corner of my house. For me, good design evolves, grows and changes with the needs of one's lifestyle. I want my home to be creative, to be stylish, to be entertaining, to be real. I hope you will join me on my journey. It's always more fun to travel together.
This blog is all about bringing style and elegance to the home. The art of dressing your home goes beyond hanging a few items on the wall and arranging furniture. Much like a fabulous set of earrings or a new stylish handbag may take your little black dress from fine to fabulous, home accesories and key furnishings can take your rooms from ho-hum to singing the Halleluiah Chorus! Join with me as we discover new ways to add panache to every room of the house.

The History of Flag Day

Happy FLAG DAY!
Today we celebrate the Stars and Stripes! Old Glory! Red, White and Blue! I am so proud and thankful to live in America. God has truly blessed the history of our nation. I want to do my part to make sure His blessings rest on our nation for my children and my children's children. Last week my youngest son asked me if Flag Day and Independence Day were the same celebration. Of course not, I replied. One is in June, the other is in July. Well why do we celebrate both, he asked. Good question, I replied. Off to Googleland I go to research Flag Day and to learn so I can teach. I found out some interesting facts I never knew and learned the reason why we honor National Flag Day. Scroll down and read the story for yourself. And enjoy some of my Flags displayed outside our home in honor
of the American Flag. I like to keep a flag hanging by my front entry. I have an entire collection of colorful, seasonal flags and usually change them out each month. However, when May 1st rolls around Old Glory is proudly displayed and we usually keep the American Flag on display through July 4th. We display the Flag again for Labor Day and Veteran's Day. My husband, Mr. Panache was in the ARMY so he has taught us all the proper etiquette about the flag. Did you know that you are NOT suppose to leave the flag hanging overnight or in the rain unless you have a light shining on it? Or that you are suppose to display the flag with the blue union field up - never display the flag upside down. Mr. Panache installed a spotlight to shine on our flag. I love coming home after dark and seeing our flag proudly displayed in the spotlight.
Did you know that the U.S. Flag was adopted on June 14, 1777 and it is the fourth oldest national flag in the world? I thought that Britian's flag was the oldest by actually Denmark's national flag was adopted in 1219 making it the oldest national flag.

I use small parade flags in my wreath and container plants for added color and an air of patriotism. Red, White and Blue is one of my favorite summertime color combos. I try to find ways to use these colors in my decor (inside and out) throughout the summer months.
Here, I've tucked a small parade flag inside an urn of Hostas. You can usually buy 3 parade flags for $1 at the Dollar Tree or Target in the $1 Bins by the front doors. In a couple of weeks I will be doing a special JULY 4th countdown and will be showing you more ways I use the Flag, Stars and Stripes and Red, White and Blue in my summertime decor. The countdown will begin on July 1st.
More Flags displays in a bed of hot pink Petunias.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's the story behind the History of Flag Day:
The Fourth of July was traditionally celebrated as America's birthday, but the idea of an annual day specifically celebrating the Flag is believed to have first originated in 1885. BJ Cigrand, a schoolteacher, arranged for the pupils in the Fredonia, Wisconsin Public School, District 6, to observe June 14 (the 108th anniversary of the official adoption of The Stars and Stripes) as 'Flag Birthday'. In numerous magazines and newspaper articles and public addresses over the following years, Cigrand continued to enthusiastically advocate the observance of June 14 as 'Flag Birthday', or 'Flag Day'.
On June 14, 1889, George Balch, a kindergarten teacher in New York City, planned appropriate ceremonies for the children of his school, and his idea of observing Flag Day was later adopted by the State Board of Education of New York. On June 14, 1891, the Betsy Ross House in Philadelphia held a Flag Day celebration, and on June 14 of the following year, the New York Society of the Sons of the Revolution, celebrated Flag Day.
Following the suggestion of Colonel J Granville Leach (at the time historian of the Pennsylvania Society of the Sons of the Revolution), the Pennsylvania Society of Colonial Dames of America on April 25, 1893 adopted a resolution requesting the mayor of Philadelphia and all others in authority and all private citizens to display the Flag on June 14th. Leach went on to recommend that thereafter the day be known as 'Flag Day', and on that day, school children be assembled for appropriate exercises, with each child being given a small Flag.
Two weeks later on May 8th, the Board of Managers of the Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the Revolution unanimously endorsed the action of the Pennsylvania Society of Colonial Dames. As a result of the resolution, Dr. Edward Brooks, then Superintendent of Public Schools of Philadelphia, directed that Flag Day exercises be held on June 14, 1893 in Independence Square. School children were assembled, each carrying a small Flag, and patriotic songs were sung and addresses delivered.
In 1894, the governor of New York directed that on June 14 the Flag be displayed on all public buildings. With BJ Cigrand and Leroy Van Horn as the moving spirits, the Illinois organization, known as the American Flag Day Association, was organized for the purpose of promoting the holding of Flag Day exercises. On June 14th, 1894, under the auspices of this association, the first general public school children's celebration of Flag Day in Chicago was held in Douglas, Garfield, Humboldt, Lincoln, and Washington Parks, with more than 300,000 children participating.
Adults, too, participated in patriotic programs. Franklin K. Lane, Secretary of the Interior, delivered a 1914 Flag Day address in which he repeated words he said the flag had spoken to him that morning: "I am what you make me; nothing more. I swing before your eyes as a bright gleam of color, a symbol of yourself."
Inspired by these three decades of state and local celebrations, Flag Day - the anniversary of the Flag Resolution of 1777 - was officially established by the Proclamation of President Woodrow Wilson on May 30th, 1916. While Flag Day was celebrated in various communities for years after Wilson's proclamation, it was not until August 3rd, 1949, that President Truman signed an Act of Congress designating June 14th of each year as National Flag Day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On another note, I will be away from blogland for the next 2 1/2 weeks. My Parents are retiring and moving to NC! Yeah! I will be traveling north to help finalize the packing and moving, then driving with my Parents back to NC. I will miss you while I'm away but hope to have some great pictures and stories to share when I return. Be sure to drop by on July 1st for my special Independence Day countdown and a FABULOUS, INCREDIBLE, UNBELIEVABLE GIVE-A-WAY! Until I see you again,
Happy Decorating!
~Alisa




9 comments:

Terry said...

Howdy
Happy Flag day sweetie.
Thank you for this post .
God Bless you .
You have made my Day !
Blessings of joy to you and yours.
Happy Trails
Hugs

Terri Steffes said...

Thank you for the flag etiquette. I recently put up a flag and didn't know you weren't supposed to leave it out. We don't have a spotlight, so I will take it down at night.

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Alisa! Waving! :)

I've missed you my friend. I do hope your summer has been fantastic so far. I know you are busy as a bee. LOL!

Your front door and entrance are just out of this world gorgeous! Love it! The vibrant colored flowers and the way you have diplayed everything is PERFECT!

Thanks for letting us know the hitory of the flag.
~Warmly, Melissa ;)

jill west said...

I love your flag day post. I was so inspired that I went right outside to take pictures of the flag hanging on our porch. I will post them tomorrow!

A Hint of Home said...

We love our flag at our house, too. We decorate the outside for Memorial Day through the 4th. I wish we would see more flying on our street. My hubby was in the army, also. Thank yours for his service.
Have a great week.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I love to put those little flag inside and outside of our home. They are perfect for setting the tone for the holidays.
Have a good time helping your parents. Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

I have missed you! Thanks for letting us know so much about the flag. Glad Mom and Dad will be close. See you soon! Nancy from OHIO

"Blossom" said...

From you flag to your door accessory; it's all so beautiful.
Your plants are so colorful and I too add little flags around just to give a little touch to the landscape. I hope all is well
with the move with your parents.
Happy 4th.
blossom

Deanna said...

So glad I stopped by to visit your site. May you have a sparkling 4th of July!

God Bless,
~D~
HomeHavenMinistry
'cauz home is a ministry

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin