WELCOME to CAROLINA PANACHE! I believe our homes should be a haven, a place of beauty and peace that reflect who we are and what's important to us. I'm on a journey to add personality and panache to every corner of my house. For me, good design evolves, grows and changes with the needs of one's lifestyle. I want my home to be creative, to be stylish, to be entertaining, to be real. I hope you will join me on my journey. It's always more fun to travel together.
This blog is all about bringing style and elegance to the home. The art of dressing your home goes beyond hanging a few items on the wall and arranging furniture. Much like a fabulous set of earrings or a new stylish handbag may take your little black dress from fine to fabulous, home accesories and key furnishings can take your rooms from ho-hum to singing the Halleluiah Chorus! Join with me as we discover new ways to add panache to every room of the house.

The Cook's Corner - Blueberry Chicken Salad

Welcome to the Cook's Corner!
It's been a while since I've shared a recipe with you so today I will share a brand new recipe from my cooking club. During the hot, lazy days of summer I like to eat cool, crisp salads. I can salad everyday! The key to not getting bored with "rabbit food" as my husband calls it, is to mix it up and try different variations. There's an old saying about eating a "rainbow" in your diet. The more colorful your fruits and veggies are the more nutrients, expecially antioxidents, that you are consuming. Of course with all the health awareness about antioxidents we all need to get more of this healthy, disease fighting nutrient.
Today's recipe is BLUEBERRY CHICKEN SALAD.
Let's take a look: This recipe can punch up the creamy goodness of the ordinary chicken salad by adding a sweet-tart burst from fresh blueberries. Here's what you will need -
Blueberry Chicken Salad
1/2 cup light mayo - I use Hellman's.
3 tablespoons light sour cream - I use Breakstone's
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon lemon juice - squeezed fresh
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (or you could use boneless, skinless chicken breasts grilled)
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts (love the crunchiness they add!)
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup diced celery
2 cups blueberries (rinsed and dried very well)
4 cups of torn tender salad greens (I like to use Bibb or Butter Leaf)
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Directions:
Combine the first six (6) ingredients in a large bowl. This forms your dressing.
Stir in chicken, water chestnuts, green onions and celery.
Gently fold in blueberries (make sure you have dried your berries very well, otherwise they will water-down your dressing mix and make it runny)
Serve over salad greens. Top with toasted almonds.
This salad is so yummy! Rich in protein, low in carbs! Cool and crisp - the perfect summer salad. I hope you enjoy it! Until I see you again,
Happy Cooking!
~Alisa

10 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I think our homes are our havens, and should reflect that. I so agree that I want mine to be inviting, but real. When you can check out my blog I am taking a poll to see who would like to join a Cloche Party. Let me know. Thanks. Hugs, Marty

Sandra said...

Yummy! Sounds soo delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe. :) I'll make sure and make this for my family. I love your blog. :)
Blessings,
Sandra

southerninspiration said...

Oh, yum that sounds fabulous!

Suzanne

Chandy said...

Looks and sounds delicious. Yummy!

Tammy518 said...

I love all kinds of salads, and this one sounds very yummy!

Melanie said...

Looks great! 'Love the blueberries.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Melissa Miller said...

~Wonderful and Yummy!

I have blueberries already. I just need a few other things to add to my grocery list.
Alex would LOVE this one.

Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

Scribbler said...

I am saving this -- always on the lookout for a new version of chicken salad. It's the very best summer-time go-to, I think.

Scribbler

Kathleen Ellis said...

Mmmm...that salad looks delish!
;-D

Office Movers Riverview said...

Good reading thhis post

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin