Hello! Long time, no see! I've been on a 4-day holiday from blogging. Sorry about the interruption in the 30 Days, 30 Tips to Budget Friendly Home Decor. Every now and then life gets so hectic that you just can't fit anymore into your day. I was going to post about adding WHIMSY to your home without looking cheesy but I've decided to save that for Friday. Today, I want to share some tips about adding a designer look to your bedroom. These tips can work for any style; classic, contemporary, cottage, or country. I personally lean toward classic decor so the inspiration pictures that I will feature reflect that style. Day 10 - Tip 10:
RESTYLE YOUR BED
The biggest impact you can make in a bedroom is restyling your bedding. You don't have to spend a fortune to get the look of luxury. A few simple tricks can take your bed from blah to beautiful! I personally like to shop dicount retailers for designer or high quality bed linens and mix and match. Very seldom do I buy a full ensemble. If I can find what I want, I have a seamstress sew one up for me. When restyling your bed keep in mind that the bed is usually the focal point of the room. Therefore, think layers, texture, pattern and color. What feel are youi going for? Remember you want to create a bed that calls to you to jump in and relax. Nothing is better than snuggling down in to your comfortable bed at the end of a long day! Here's a few things to keep in mind:
1. Build from the bottom up. That means start with the bedskirt. I know alot of modern decor features no skirts and the comforter or duvet tucked in for a clean, streamlined look but for me I like the look of layered luxury. If your bedskirt contrasts with the flooring, it will frame your bed and allow it to take center stage as your focal point in the room. If your bedskirt blends in with the flooring, you then create a soft cloud of relaxation. I have used box pleat skirts, ruffled skirts and softly gathered skirts that puddle on the floor around the bed. I am currently using a box-pleat version in a gold and pewter jacquard.
2. The next step is to put on the sheets. I have fallen in love with luxury bed sheets of 500 thread count or higher. I find most of these at places like Ross, TJMaxx, HomeGoods and Marshalls. Once you've slept on high thread count sheets nothing else comes close to comfort. I make my bed by tucking the flat sheet all around the edges and folding back the flat sheet. I ofter use contrasting colors or patterns. You don't have to keep everything is sets. Mix and match for interest. Keep your pillowcases matching but change your fitted and flat sheet around to create a custom look.
3. Next, top the bed. I prefer to use a quilt, blanket or matelasse coverlet. To keep the look restful and inviting, I opt for a muted solid. In my master, I am partial to greens, golds, and earthy browns. Fold your flat sheet over the blanket by 10 to 12 inches, then tuck the sides and ends under the mattress.
4. Add a folded duvet or comforter at the foot of the bed. Here's where you can add color and pattern. Since it will be folded, the color and pattern will not overwhelm the restful feel of the room. I like to use a down-filled comforter and change out the duvet cover with the seasons. I look for colors that will mix with my Euro Shams in gold and bedskirt in gold and pewter. These items I use year round but by changing my duvet, I can keep my room in season.
5. Top with pillows. I have a tall headboard to my bed, so I prop two Euro shams against the headboard. You could also do this against the wall. Then I layer two standard shams in front. I like to add contrasting color and pattern with the standard shams.
6. Lastly, I add my accent pillows. Here is the fun part. You can introduce more color, more pattern, more texture in small doses. I recommend two to three accent pillows. Any more than three and your bed will look crowded.
Love this look! This is a guest room featuring two twin beds. The soft color, crisp white sheets and subtle pattern on the headboard creates a look of refined tranquility.
These bedrooms ooze luxury.
Live Life Beautifully,